Fiverr and Upwork – All you need to know to start working and earning over $200 monthly as a freelancer.
Fiverr and Upwork platform by now should not be new to you especially if you are interested in working and earning money from home.
Before we go any further, I would advise you to forget about this post if have no interest in working from home as a freelancer.
In this article, I will give you all the necessary details you need to start working and earning on Fiverr and Upwork. I share with you my personal experience on how I became successful in Upwork.
To start with, it necessary that we familiarize ourselves with some familiar terms you will always come across as a freelancer.
What You Need To Know About Fiver and Upwork
What is Fiverr and Upwork?
Fiverr and Upwork are different platforms where clients or buyers meet with freelancers or sellers. These platforms allow freelancers to offer their skills or services to clients at an agreed fee. The fee is usually in Dollars, Pounds or Euro. Fiverr and Upwork usually make a commission from every transaction on the platform.
Creating and running accounts on both platforms is allowed. But, as a newbie, I would recommend you choose any one of the two and register. But then, don’t be in a hurry to do that. Follow me to the end of this article so you can make the best decision.
Who is a Freelancer or Seller in Fiverr and Upwork
A freelancer or seller is a user or agency on Fiverr or Upwork that offers his/her skills and or services for a fee. Currently, the skills or services in high demand on both platforms are:
- Writing and Translation
- Proofreading and Editing
- Data Entry
- Web Design and Development
- Graphic Designs
- Virtual Assistant
- Digital and Social Media Marketing
- Video Editing and others.
A Client or Buyer is anybody that pays a freelancer for his services, skills or for working for him. In any case, the buyer and the freelancers must be on the platform before they transact together.
What You Need To Have Before Opening an Account on Fiverr and Upwork
If you must open and have a successful profile on fiverr or upwork, then you should have the following;
- A valid government-issued means of identification (any of Drivers’ License, Voters Card, International Passport, National ID)
- An internet-enabled phone.
- A working laptop or a desktop computer
- An internet facility (you can use your Andriod phone hotspot)
- A local bank account for receiving payments
- A Free Grammarly Account. This helps you to check and correct your articles, write-ups for grammatical errors. SIGN UP NOW FOR FREE.
- Or a Payooner account in case you don’t want to use your local account. A Payoneer account is a card account. Payoneer is used to receive and make payments online using a master card. SIGN UP NOW FOR FREE.
A Brief Comparison of Fiverr and Upwork
In as much as I would want you to move to the next stage, which is taking action. It will be unfair I fail to share with you some of my experiences using the two platforms.
My Experiences on Fiverr
- Fiverr has a very strict Terms of Service (TOS) that guides the use of the platform.
- They tend to give more attention to the Client than the freelancer. And if there is a dispute they always side the client or buyer.
- Fiverr can suspend your account at any slightest violation.
- Getting jobs as a Nigerian based freelancer can be difficult compared to countries like the US. But Don’t Worry, I will help you open a US account using your true information.
My Experiences on Upwork
- They tend to be friendlier than Fiverr.
- In the case of a dispute, they help the freelancer and client settle amicably. There was a client that requested a refund because she wasn’t satisfied with my work, but when I logged a dispute to Upwork, they refunded the client on my behalf while I kept my earnings.
- Also, getting jobs as a Nigerian based freelancer can be difficult compared to countries like the US. But Don’t Worry, I will help you open a US account using your true information.
Working and Earning
In this section, I will be talking more about Article writing and Website Design and Development. These are the two areas I offer services on Upwork.
Trust me, if you are consistent with your effort, you can build your profile and earn as much as $200+ monthly.
As a newbie, I would advise you to offer your services at a lower rate, so you can compete with other freelancers with reputable profiles.
For instance, as an uprising talent, I rewrote a 1,500-word article for $30, while a Top freelancer did the same job for $100.
To convince you I have added some snapshots of my Upwork profile showing my previous jobs and earnings. I have also added my contact details at the end of this article so you can easily contact me.
Having shown you my December 2019 to April 2020 earnings, I must inform you that for you to grow and be successful, you must do the following;
- Be consistent
- Be patient
- Apply for jobs like other freelancers
Please don’t expect to be successful if all you do is to just sit down and wait for a miracle to happen. I assure you if you remain steadfast, you will succeed. And for the serious ones, I would always be there to support and guide you.
It’s not enough to read this article and get excited but it is another thing to take action and as at when due. Being a Nigerian freelancer makes it difficult to get a United States-based account approved on Fiverr or Upwork can be very difficult.
Finally, if you are interested, you could Email me on ANEBUBECHUKWU@GMAIL.COM for creating a US-based account on Fiverr and Upwork